Year 1 music: The vegetable orchestra

In my school, every child plays a musical instrument. They're involved in different music groups like bands and orchestra. Most of them knows what does an orchestra looks like; they are familiar with Western instruments.

Therefore in class, I feel no urge to introduce Western music yet; that's why I tend to teach more world music and I love looking for funny music videos so that their perception towards music is not just limited to Western music.

In Year 1, I teach rhythm through a LONG food unit. To spice things up, I share this video with them, in which food is not just food, it can make music too!

THE VIENNA VEGETABLE ORCHESTRA



I had to remember to give them safety tips after the video - I don't want them to go home and start cutting up a pumpkin with a saw.

Please click here if you would like to visit the website of the Vienna Vegetable Orchestra.