Go Global!

Classroom learning does not satisfy children nowadays. In fact, I believe that children learn more about the world out of their classroom. As teachers and caregivers, I guess our job is to provide them with enough learning support so that they can explore their world on their own.

Today, I was teaching a short world music unit about music from Senegal - a place that is as foreign to my children as it is to me. I played them a children from Senegal; it was a rhythmic tune and my children started dancing and grooving around as usual. After the listening activity, we turned our attention to find out more about the geography of Senegal. I dimmed the light, turned on the interactive world map on the smart board and attempted to start my lecture. One by one, children raised their hands and asked me if they can get their world Atlas out (and of course many of them just left their set and get it without asking!). I certainly let them.

All of a sudden, the classroom started to bubble with chattering here and there. Nobody was paying attention to what I have prepared as the teacher-in-charge because they were busy busy searching for Senegal in their Atlas! I started hearing,

"Hey, there's Senegal!"
"Where?"
"There!...NOT THAT PAGE!"
"I found the flag of Senegal!!"
"Where? Let me see!!"
"It's at the back of the book!!"
...

At that moment, I felt very very insignificant because my teaching suddenly became disposable; yet I LOVED that feeling - This is when children are 100% engaged in learning and they're discovering knowledge using means they have access to. I switched off my interactive map and smiled at them, nodding occasionally at children who showed me their discovery in their Atlas. I waited until everyone was satisfied with their discovery as the chatter faded. I switched on the interactive map again and zoomed into Dakar (Senegal's capital city) and let the children see the street view of the city and its location in Senegal. By this time, children seemed like they have known this place for a long time.

We have gone very very far away from "music" during today's world music lesson but it doesn't matter at all because I know what the children learnt today will find a secure place in their heart.

When children seek, they discover and they will remember.