World Music

Kids LOVE listening to world music and I love teaching it. Not only can I bring some exotic sounds into the classroom, I can also tell my students about things I've read about other cultures. I was amazed by how focused they are when I tell them about the sad story behind an Ethiopian-Israelite song or how a traditio...nal Bolivian instrument is made of Armadillo shells. I like watching them when I introduce a new piece in class - they listen with great focus, they frown when a sad motif passes by, they laugh when they hear funny pronunciation of a language they don't understand, they start moving when the beat and rhythm becomes clearer to them and most of the time, they'd keenly ask me to play it for them again and again.

The more we know about the differences and similarities of other cultures, the more we'd understand our own. We are keen to insert citizenship education and globalization units into the curriculum. All subject teachers can play a role in it. As a music teacher, I start with showing my students what's out there first.

I'd like to recommend a site called Panwapa. This site does not have a strong music-base, but it's a cute site for young children to know about countries and cultures. (produced by the Sesame street team, so animation quality is good, kids should like it!)